FOUR PAWS UK is a strong, global and independent voice for animals under direct human influence. Our vision is a world where people treat animals with respect, empathy and understanding.
Our aim is to reveal animal suffering, rescue animals in the greatest need and protect all animals through stronger legislation and rehoming in our sanctuaries. It’s time to protect animals.
This is why we have come up with our manifesto for the 2019 general election. This is an incredible opportunity to speak up for animals, and so we have listed our demands as the following.
We are asking prospective MPs to;
· Ensure that we uphold and strengthen current EU animal welfare standards and that animal sentience is enshrined in British law upon leaving the EU;
· Ensure that the maximum sentence for animal cruelty offences increases from six months to five years in England and Wales.
For farmed animals:
· Strengthen the UK Government Buying Standards and ensure that animal welfare criteria is integrated into food procurement policy at both a national and local level;
· Support the call to increase the consumption of plant-based food for health, environmental and animal welfare reasons, and thereby reducing the consumption of meat and other animal products by 50% in the UK by 2030;
· Introduce and enforce a ban on live animal exports for slaughter from the UK in cases that legislation cannot be complied with.
For wild animals:
· Introduce and enforce a ban on all trophy hunting imports into the UK;
· Introduce and enforce a legislative ban on commercial trade in live tigers with exceptions for tiger movements for conservation breeding programmes and sanctuary work;
· Introduce and enforce a ban on the import and sale of fur in the UK;
· Introduce and enforce a ban on the sale and keeping of primates in the UK;
· Ensure wildlife crime is made recordable and long-term funding is secured for the National Wildlife Crime Unit;
· End the controversial badger cull;
· End all animal interactions with wild animals in zoos, sanctuaries and private keeping;
· Strengthen the Hunting Act.
For companion animals:
· Amend the Animal Welfare Act 2006 to make pet theft a specific offence, distinct from that of inanimate objects;
· Support better regulation of the pet trade in the UK, including the cross-border movement of pets, and ensure traceability of dogs and cats is enshrined in British law.
How you can help!
Are you a candidate? Please pledge your support today!
New Members of Parliament can pledge their support to our Animal Welfare Manifesto by emailing