What is Make Food Kinder?
Right now, public institutions (such as schools) and local authorities across England are serving food tarnished by animal cruelty.
FOUR PAWS UK is calling on local authorities to exclude the worst animal cruelty in the food served at public institutions. Together, we want:
- to exclude the cruellest animal welfare standards in public sector food procurement
- healthier food with more plant-based options
- public institutions to set an example and use public money to fund better farming practices
FOUR PAWS UK has been researching how public money is being spent and will be publicising how local authorities and institutions are performing in terms of animal welfare when procuring food.
What we demand
- Animal-derived products from better keeping conditions
-Meat, eggs, milk/milk products sourced from higher welfare conditions
- Transparent and effectively enforced food policy which guarantees animal welfare is considered in future sourcing decisions
- Reduction of animal-derived products:
- less meat
- more wholesome vegetarian and plant-based menu options
What does 'excluding the worst cases of animal cruelty' mean?
In order to exclude the worst cases of animal cruelty in public institutions, we are helping public institutions to support practices which are better for animals. This includes:
- more space
- more enrichment
- access to the outdoors
- no fast growing breeds
- no mutilations / no mutilations without anaesthesia and post operative pain relief